4th Infantry, 4th Infantry Regiment, Warrior Battalion 1/4, INF 2/4 INF, 3/4 INF,

Spanish-American War

1st Battalion 4th Infantry Regiment



2nd Battalion 4th Infantry Regiment



3rd Battalion 4th Infantry Regiment 



In 1898, the Fourth went east and embarked from Tampa to Cuba on the steamer "Concho". Landing at Daiquiri, the regiment participated in the battle of El Caney and the occupation of Santiago. Fever decimated the command and the campaign ended.

The 4th U.S. Infantry in Cuba

Bob Turley and Robert Travis

Robert Travis

The Adventures of a Company
of Regular Soldiers
In Our War With Spain


Company "B", 4th Regiment of Infantry, stationed at Fort Sheridan, Illinois was ordered out with the Regiment and left this post on the 19th day of April 1898 for Tampa, Florida. Our transportation consisted of one section of tourist sleeping cars and baggage cars, with one Pullman for accommodation (sic) of the officers. Our Regiment was received all along the route with much enthusiasm and at every station we passed crowds of people had congregated to cheer us on our way. At one small station in Georgia the usual crowd met us and among them was a gentleman with a very beautiful little girl, probably ten years of age, who was waving an American flag. She told us that she had made it herself and wanted us to carry it to Cuba and return it to her, when we came back. One of the members of Co. "B" took it promised that her wishes would be carried out. That flag at once became a sacred emblem to all the members of our company and was carried through the campaign from Daquiri to Santiago and was in the battles of El Caney, San Juan and Santiago. It would have been the last thing to be given up and there was not a man in the company, who would not have fought to the bitter end to retain this small emblem. It is needless to say that after we returned, the flag was enclosed with a nice present and sent to her address.

Company "B" at the beginning of the war belonged to the 2nd Battalion of the 4th U. S. Infantry and was commanded by Capt. Henry E. Robinson, 1st Lieut. Wolf and 2nd Lieut. J. J. Bernard. We arrived at Tampa, Florida, on the afternoon of April the 22nd, without mishap and at once marched through deep sand to what is known as Tampa Heights. We remained here doing the regular duties on a military camp until Tuesday, June the 7th. We then received orders to break camp, which we did by packing up our belongings and marching back through the sand to the Depot, where we boarded a train for Port Tampa, arriving there the same evening and embarking on the steamer Concho. After loading all our baggage on board, we were pulled out in the bay by a tug, where we remained until Tuesday, June the 14th, when the fleet composed of about 36 transports, loaded with the 5th U. S. Army Corps under command of Maj. Gen. Wm. R. Shafter headed out of the bay southward in the direction of Key West, escorted by a few small gun-boats. We arrived at Key West about midnight and was (sic) there joined by a detachment of war vessels, the most important of which was the battle-ship Indiana. This battle-ship headed the fleet for the remainder of the trip, with the small craft on either side and in the rear, affording good protection for the transports.

The weather on out trip out was fine, the sun shining bright and warm during the day, with a nice cool breeze, that was a real treat to us after having suffered so much from heat during our camp at Tampa. It was a grand sight to view the fleet of transports and war vessels from the deck, lined up in "column of fours", following the leading vessels at a safe distance. Some had barges in tow, and others had small schooners, which contained explosives and combustibles, unsafe for carrying on the troop ships. They extended as far in front of us as the exe could reach and made a most beautiful picture. We passed the time away lounging about on deck watching the movements of the fleet, until Tuesday June 21st, when we saw mountains to our right, that raised their rugged peaks above the sea level and must have been fifteen or twenty miles away. At about 3 P.M. we came in sight of the blockading fleet in front of Santiago Harbor, still guarding the outlet and watching for the Spanish fleet, that was imprisoned within. We did not run up very close to the squadron however as it was safer to keep out of range of the guns of Moro Castle. While in this vicinity we experienced our first rough sea, our vessel rolled continually and caused several cases of seasickness. I remember while going on deck hearing one soldier ask another, who was hanging over the rail, trying to get rid of the hard tack, which he had eaten for breakfast, "Are you sick"? The man looked up at his questioner and answered by saying- "You D-----m Fool do you think I would be doing this for fun?"

After waiting about 25 hours, we received orders for the fleet to move about five miles south into the ocean, with particular instructions to keep closed up during the night and to proceed twelve miles east of our present position, preparatory to landing in the morning. This order was readily carried out and on Wednesday, June 22nd, in the early morning, the gun-boats left our transports and steamed about three or four miles in toward the shore and began to bombard the town of Daiquiri and the adjacent shore and hills. About file miles to the west another fleet of gun-boats was bombarding the shore and town of Siboney. Again at about 1 o'clock the same two towns were bombarded in full view of all the troops on board the transports, our vessels having moved up nearer in the meantime. During the firing the decks and rigging were crowded with soldiers eager to see the gun-boats in action and our band was out on the deck playing "There'll Be A Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight." After continuing their fire for about one hour and there being no signs of resistance from the shore, our troops began to disembark, out vessel being up near the shore, we were among the first to land. The landing was make very slowly, on account of there being no wharf and we had to crowd together in small boats from the transports and war vessels and row over a very rough sea to the shore. After landing we found upon investigation that a round-house, containing two locomotives, the property of the Spanish-American R. R. Co., and a magazine, with a quantity of amunition had been burned by the Spaniards, before they were driven out by our shells. We got our first sight of the Cuban forces soon after landing. Gen. Garcia and his followers were busily engaged in killing the pigs and chickens, that were left by the Dons in their hurried journey from the town. I was never so badly disappointed in my life as after seeing these Cubans. I had pictured an army composed of intelligent and patriotic people, with a resemblance to the Spanish in features and caste. Imagine my surprise when I beheld a horde of half naked Negroes of the lowest type, without discipline or any military appearance whatever. Such was Garcia's army; as to Garcia, he was a fine looking man and possibly a full blooded Spaniard. He looked very much out of place among his soldiers. The Cubans seemed delighted to see us and greeted us with smiles on all sides. I suspect our commissary supplies had more to do with our welcome than anything else, as they seemed to forget all else in their delight on making the acquaintance of Uncle Sam's hardtack and bacon.

Our Regiment succeeded in landing about five o'clock in the afternoon, at which time we "fell-in" and marched about two miles from the town and went into camp for the night. The next day we broke camp and took up our march over a narrow path, where we had to march in single file for the entire distance of seven miles until we came to the town of Siboney, where we camped on a small stream about one half mile form the town. On our arrival at Siboney, we encountered a force of about 500 Spanish Cavalry, who retreated for the town as we advanced, with slight resistance. We also captured two R. R. Locomotives, that had been disabled by the Spanish concealing parts of the machinery. They were put in the hands of some of the 2nd Mass. Volunteers, who were machinists and they soon had them in running order. On Friday, June 24th, our advance forces, consisting of 1st Volunteer Cavalry (Roosevelt's Rough Riders) and the 9th and 10th Regular Cavalry, all dismounted, were attacked by the Spanish in a ravine, about two miles in our front. The firing was very heavy and continued for about two hours. During the fight we received orders to move out on the right flank and cut off the enemy's retreat in the direction of Santiago. The retired Brigade, consisting of the 4th and 25th Infantry, under the command of Col. Miles immediately broke camp and marched over hills and ravine, through brush and streams until we were hopelessly lost and had to turn back and try a narrow path, that seemed to lead in the right direction. We had a Cuban guide at the head of our column, but it seemed that he was as badly lost as the rest of us. We marched all day through the heat and finally came to the place where the battle had been fought in time to witness the burial of our brave boys, who had been killed during the engagement. The killed numbered 14 and were all cavalrymen. We left the scene of the battle and arrived at our camp, which we had left in the morning, at nine o'clock at night, without seeing any of the enemy. We were very tired and hungry when we arrived and many lay down without shelter form the heavy dews, that fall at night. We were getting very short on rations and several of us went hungry that night. Saturday the 25th, rations were issued to us for three days. We all crowded our haversacks full to overflowing with hardtack, bacon &c, to make sure of not running short again and suffering the pangs of hunger. At one o'clock we broke camp and marched seven miles in the direction of Santiago, over the same narrow path that we had traveled all the way from Soboney and went into camp near a small stream of very good water. Sunday, June 26th we remained in camp all day, recuperating for the next days march.

Monday the 27th, we broke camp at 6 o'clock in the morning and marched about three miles, going into camp at Los Mangoes. This camp was situated on the pack trail, which was being worked to make it passible for our artillery and ammunition wagons. This place was a model place site for a camp. We had a nice cool stream of running water close to our tens, also plenty of good bushy trees, that afforded fine shade, where we could lie and cool; ourselves after our march under a tropical sun.

Tuesday the 28th, we remained in camp and Co. "B" was detailed for outpost duty. After cooking and eating our breakfast and filling our canteens with water form the creek, the company was now marched, when formed and inspected, across two or three creeks, through brush and bramble, to the outer line of picketts, where we releived the old guard and they marched back over the same route which we came out. Co. "B" remained on outpost duty for 24 hours and during the time got the benefit of one of the hardest rains, that I have ever seen fall. The following morning we were relieved from duty by Co. "G". We then marched back to our camp, only to find that another company, during our absence, had taken possession of our ground, on which we had been camping. This location being the best there was, we hated to give it up; but we smothered our wrath and proceeded to clear off another place, where we pitched our "dog tents" and made ourselves as comfortable as circumstances would permit. Having nothing to read and no light, except form our small camp fires, our time for retiring was generally as soon as it grew dark.

The next day being the 30th and the last day of the month, the troops were mustered in the usual manner, after which we were issued three days rations and prepared to resume our march toward the city of Santiago. While waiting to be ordered out, a balloon was sent up to locate the position of the Spanish forces. This balloon was in charge of a regular balloon corps and was sent up to the height of 800 or 1000 feet, being held captive by a small wire rope.

At about 4 P. M. we moved forward toward El Caney, three miles and went into camp for the remainder of the night. Friday, July 1st, we broke camp at 3 A. M. and marched toward the town of El Caney, without taking time to get any breakfast. We halted to get orders, in a thick grove of mango trees about one and a half miles from the Spanish works. At about 8 o'clock in the morning the first shot was fired from Capron's battery, which was in a position immediately in our front. Within a short time after this, was followed by the rattle of the rifles of our infantry, which continued to increase as the time wore on.

The regiments, which were engaged at this time were the 7th, 9th, 18th, and 17th, regular Infantry and the 2nd Mass. Volunteers. Our Regiment and the 25th Infantry (colored troops) were moved forward and stationed on the road between El Caney and Santiago, near the old "Decoreau House", which stands on the road leading from San Juan River to San Miquel and one and a half miles from the town of El Caney. This old house or fort was our outpost and was held by us to protect the crossing of the San Juan River, from the north over the masonry bridge, less than one half mile from the forts on San Juan Hill, that were being engaged by the cavalry and Grimes' battery. This made our position extremely hazardous, before the advance of Gen. Wheeler's troops toward San Juan Hill. This position was held by us until about noon, when we were marched forward and formed for attack, with the 2nd Battalion on the firing line and the 1st as support. We advanced as skirmishers through thick timber and brush, encountering a ten strand barbed wire fence, in a very exposed position. After cutting this fence, we had an open field to advance through. This we did in shelter of a ditch, at the base of the hill, upon which the Spanish defenses stood. We were directly in front of the Spanish blockhouse, a stone structure, surrounded by trenches in front of the buildings. We remained in this position firing at every thing, which showed itself in the Spanish works, until the 26th Infantry, immediately on our right, and holding an advantageous position, charged the stone fort and trenches, carrying them and capturing the Spanish works with about 150 prisoners. It was a splendid charge and was only made possible by the terrible fire, directed from close quarters, by our regiment.

We lost up to this time, Lieut. J. J. Bernard and one private. The death of Lieut. Bernard was deeply regretted by all, as he was a general favorite with the men of the company. After the surrender of the Spanish works, I went up to examine them, the trenches were filled with the dead and wounded, the later being cared for by our men. I saw one Spanish officer, sitting up in one of the trenches, with a small Poodle dog in his arms. He was stone dead, having been shot through the head, the dog was alive and growled at us as we passed. Here also was the body of Gen. Vera Del Rey, with his long gray whiskers and hair, making him quite noticeable. He had been shot while giving orders to his men and was found in front of the second line of works. During the afternoon it rained as usual and we were drenched to the skin. We were very tired and worn out from hunger, which had been hardly felt, until the excitement of the battle was over. We proceeded to care for the wounded and bury our dead, after which we fell in and marched out the main road, following … one mile. We expected to go into camp but about 10 o'clock at night we were ordered to move on up the road. We continued on this road until we arrived at the stone bridge over San Juan River and remained there until rations were issued to us and at the same time we received a fresh supply of ammunition, which had been brought up by our pack train. At two o'clock in the morning of July 2nd we were marched back to a small path, leading in a roundabout way to the Hills of Jan Juan. It was rumored that the main road leading to San Juan was mined and that the Spanish had planted rapid fire guns on this road. It was for this reason that we were taken over this crooked trail, as we wished to guard against any surprise, which the Spaniards might have in store for us. The entire command was on the march all the forenoon and arrived near the entrenchments on San Juan Hill, about 11 o'clock.

Three entrenchments had been carried by Gen. Wheeler's forces and were being held by several regiments of both infantry and cavalry. The Spaniards had retired to their second line of works, on the hill directly in our front and were pouring in a continuous fire on our line of works, which had been captured from them. Our regiment moved up in rear of the line of works and was held in reserve. We were compelled to keep near the foot of the hill and lie low, as the air was filled with the singing of Mauser bullets, that were being fired at our line in front. Our 1st Battalion was sent up on the firing line and we were held in reserve. That afternoon there was the usual heavy rain and we got the full benefit of it, as we had no shelter tents or blankets to protect us, as we had left them about one back on the road and it was dangerous in the extreme to travel that road, it being exposed to the fire of the enemy for quite a distance. The Spanish sharpshooters were doing terrible execution along this road all day. They shot men, who were helping the wounded, even the Red Cross hospital corps were not exempt from these friends in human shape. I saw the body of one Red Cross Surgeon lying by the roadside. He had been killed while dressing the wounds of a soldier, who had been shot by the sharpshooters, concealed in the trees. The night was cool and damp, as it had been raining all day. Our camp was made in the bed of a creek, in order to protect us from the Spanish fire, which continued to come our way. We endeavored to get some sleep by lying down on the damp ground, but the creek rosed during the night and where we lay was soon a stream of running water, making sleep impossible. About 11 o'clock that night, the Spaniards made a desperate charge on our works, endeavoring to turn our right flank but were driven back with heavy loss. In this charge they were assisted by the fleet of Admiral Cervera, which was in the bay nearly directly in our front. These war vessels kept up a continuous fire on us, the air being full of bursting shells and shrapnel. However their marksmanship was bad, as nearly all their artillery fire passed over us. This charge lasted about 30 minutes and after the enemy had been driven back, the fire began to wane and only a shot now and then served to let them know that we were on the alert and keeping watch on them. During this attack we lost one man, killed before he could get in the bed of the creek.

About daylight the firing became general and the air was filled with bullets, which kept up a continual singing, interspersed with the shrill shriek of shell and shrapnel. This state of affairs lasted until about 9 A. M. when the Spaniards raised a white flag and asked for a truce to bury their dead. This was granted.

Sunday as soon as it began to get light, the firing was resumed all along the line: Co. "B" and "G" of our Battalion, being on the firing line. We would watch the enemies trenches and when a an exposed his head or any part of his body, he at once became the target of hundreds of our rifles. During the time of this engagement the Naval battle was going outside the Bay. The boom of the big guns fairly shaking the earth, where we lay.

About ten o'clock the firing from both the sea and the land forces ceased, the Spaniards having had recourse to their white flag again, sought a much need rest. In the afternoon we left our position and marching around the hills to our right, took up a position on the top of a hill, overlooking the city of Santiago, where we entrenched ourselves. During our march to this new position, we had one man shot, while passing through an opening between the hills. On this march I saw my first dead Cuban. He was being carried along the trail, on a rude litter, by two of his comrades. I asked them how he was killed and they told me that he was shot by the Spanish. This I think very doubtful, as we had failed to see any of them near enough to the Spanish, to get shot. Hostilities were suspended to allow the women, children and all noncombatants to leave the city.

Monday we left our position and took up a stronger one, under cover of darkness and proceeded to entrench ourselves. Our new position was to the right of our old trenches and much nearer the enemy's works, which lay directly in our front and in the outskirts of Santiago. The time having been extended from 24 to 48 hours to allow the noncombatants to get out of the city, we occupied our time in digging trenches, building boom proofs and making all preparations for the struggle, which was sure to come. We remained in our trenches until about 3 P. M., when we were ordered about 800 yards farther around to our right. We moved to this new position and dug trenched, preparing ourselves for the third time to take part in the fight in front of Santiago. July 6th we remained in our present position, the truce having been extended until July 10th. The time from the 6th until the 10th was passed by us taking turns at guard and other duties of the camp.

On Sunday, July 10th at about 4:30 o'clock the bombardment of the city began. The 2nd Battalion was on the firing line and the 1st was held in reserve. The signal was given by a shot from the enemy's works. We kept up a continuous fire, until our guns got so hot that we had to stop and let them cool off. The nearest Spanish works were estimated at 900 yards distance. Our artillery would drop a shell in their trenches and the Spaniards would retreat to their defenses in the rear, exposing themselves to our fire as they ran back. The Gatling guns took an active part in this engagement and kept up a continuous rattle to our left. The Spanish artillery was kept active all through the fight but as usual, was poorly served. Most of their shells passing over us and exploding in our rear, doing very little damage. About 5:30 P. M. the firing ceased, with the exception of a desultory firing being kept up by the artillery until dark, when it ceased all together.

On Monday, July 11th the position held by us was vacated in favor of the 71st N. Y. Vol. There was general dissatisfaction among us, as we had dug entrenchments, in three different places, only to give them up to some other regiment and move to some other position. We began our march to our new position with many curses on our luck, in having to leave our camp and works in the hands of another regiment. We moved around to the extreme right about one mile northwest of the city of Santiago and nearly touching the Bay. This position was reached about 6 o'clock in the afternoon, in a drenching rain, which continued all night and fell in such torrents, that it beat through our "dog tents" and we were wet during the entire night.

After digging our trenches and clearing off the ground in front of them, to give us an unobstructed view of the enemy's works, which lay about one half mile directly in our front, we pitched our "dog tents" under the hill in our rear. We remained on guard watching the Spanish forces, which could be plainly seen, working to strengthen their line of defenses.

On Friday, July 15th, every preparation was made to resume hostilities as the time of the truce had nearly expired. Our trenches were filled with men and ammunition was distributed along our works in the most convenient places. Everything was made ready to begin the attack, upon the signal being given, which was to be a shot fired from Capt. Grimes' Battery, which was stationed immediately on our left. During the night all our available artillery had been brought up on the firing line, for the first time during the campaign. It was said that its arrival at the front was due to Gen. Nelson A. Miles, who had arrived the day before and given orders for it to be brought up at once. Be that as it may we had about forty pieces of light artillery, trained on the enemy's works the morning after the arrival of Gen. Miles. We remained in our trenches ready and anxious for hostilities to commence, until about 30 minutes before the time for the truce to expire, when we saw a white flag, carried by the enemy, and escorted by a detachment of Spanish cavalry, let by an officer approaching toward the center of our lines. This flag was met by our Commander and Staff. A council of war was held, which lasted some time. About two hours after this council was concluded, one of our officers rode along our lines, delivering a message, about as follows, "The Spanish General has surrendered the city of Santiago, with 12000 troops under his command and 800 under Gen. Pando, in the mountains directly in our rear". To say that we were glad to receive this news, does not express our feelings, for we had several days before this, begun to feel the effects of our hardships, exposure and privations. There was hardly a man in our Company but what was so weak and emaciated that he could hardly do the necessary duties of the camp. Every morning at "sick call", there was over half of the company before the doctor for treatment. The treatment never varied in the least, as it simply consisted of getting quinine pills, regardless of the disease from which the patient was suffering. I have often wondered, whether the Surgeons were supplied with any other remedy, except quinine or whether it was considered a remedy for all diseases, the flesh is heir to.

Sunday, July 17th, the U. S. flag was raised over the Gov. General's palace. The city of Santiago came into the possession of the American army, amid the booming of cannon, the wild cheers of the men and the playing of national airs by the bands. We remained in our present camp for about two weeks, suffering from malaria in all its different phases. As the sickness begun to increase and commenced to be more fatal, I was taken down and put in my time laying in my tent swallowing quinine pills and listening to taps sounded over some unfortunate comrade's remains, laid to rest. Not one, but all the way from three to six or more each day. I will state here that while there was a great many of my regiment, who were sick, we escaped well in comparison with some of the other commands. The regiment only losing one man, while camped here from disease. The 2nd Mass. Vol., who were camped within 800 yards of us, lost from sickness alone 29 of its members. I can account for the great difference only by the way the men lived. We were compelled to keep our camp clean, raise our beds off the ground and observed all sanitary laws. The Volunteers were allowed to do as they pleased, permiting their camps to become filthy and in a condition to cause disease. Another cause of the fatality among the Volunteers was that they had never been used to any hardships and probably were never before away from their homes for any length of time. They became homesick and gave up, sooner than older man.

After remaining in this camp about two weeks, we moved forward about 300 yards and established a new camp, in a much better locality. While here we received our large tents, extra blankets and clothing, which had been left on the transport, when we landed. They came in good time as we were getting short on clothes. Many of us having none except those on our backs. These were in rags and hardly protected us from the heat of the sun, which blistered every exposed part of the body. I had just settled myself down in our new camp and made things as comfortable as circumstances would permit, when I was ordered to report to the Quarter-master, near Gen. Wheeler's headquarters, for duty as teamster. I took my blankets and accoutrements and walk3ed about three miles to the place designated. Here I was sent over to a teamster camp, where I reported to the man in charge. He was a citizen and of Irish persuasion, who seemed to be suffering from an over dose of Spanish rum. He informed me that I was expected to take charge of six mules and a government wagon and have them ready the next morning to go to Siboney. The next morning I had my team hitched up and was soon on my way, accompanied by two other soldiers, with teams. We took the road to Siboney until we crossed the San Juan River and came to a sign, which read "Yellow Fever; Keep Out." Where we were stopped and told to drive up to the hospital, as we had to move it to the town of Siboney. I have often done things, which "went against the grain", but being ordered to move a yellow fever hospital, I thought was about the toughest thing, that I had ever been called on to perform. However as there was no help for it, I drove up and my wagon was loaded with tents, bedding &c, up to the top of the bed and then five patients were placed on top of this. I was told to wait until the other wagons were loaded, after which we took the road to Siboney. And such a road! Over boulders, through mud holes and over places, that it seemed impossible for a team to go. We arrived at Siboney late in the afternoon and went into camp near the hospital. The next morning we came back and got another hospital and moved it down to the same place, returning to camp at four o'clock in the morning after driving all night.

I remained in this camp for a week, driving every day and often after night, until I was completely worn out and applied to the Quarter-master to get relived. He refused to relieve me and I then went to Gen. Wheeler, who wrote a note, to the Quarter-master and told me, that after I had delivered the note I could join my company. I went back to my company the next day and found them camped at the same place and about two thirds of them on "sick report". The remainder being just able to perform the duties required in the camp. We remained in this camp until Aug. 13th, upon which date, after burning all useless clothing and cleaning up our camp, we left our tents standing and marched down to the Bay at Santiago, embarking on the transport Senace, for Camp Wikoff, near Montauk, Long Island.

We had better accommodations on this return trip than going over, as the vessel was fitted up more comfortably and not so badly crowded. There being only the 4th Infantry aboard. We arrived on the evening of the 18th, at Montauk, having made the trip in the short time of four and one half days. We remained all night in the harbor and left the vessel the next morning for the detention camp. Here we found tents pitched and every thing ready to receive us. We remained in this camp under quarantine for three days and then moved to another camp, farther over the hill. This last camp was on a hillside and was in rather an undesirable locality, as there was a large swamp on one side of us. We fared fine, while in this camp and were furnished with food in abundance. We received all the fruit and other delicacies, that the heart could wish. The trouble with us was, that we were nearly all sick and having no appetite, we were not in a condition to enjoy our good fortune. We remained in this camp until Sept. 14th, at which time we begun our journey back to Ft. Sheridan, arriving there on the 16th.

We were received with quite an ovation in Chicago. The depot and vicinity being crowded, the bands playing and people cheering, as we arrived. A good dinner awaited us, which had been prepared by the citizens. We marched over and enjoyed it, as only hungry soldiers can. Our regiment had left Ft. Sheridan, at the beginning of the war with 450 men and when we returned to the post had only 250 officers and men. However these figures do not represent our loss, as quite a number were sick in hospitals at different points and still others had taken furloughs and gone home. It would be impossible at the present time, to give the exact number lost from all causes, because some are coming in every day or so and reporting "off furlough" and until all return we cannot tell how many have died in hospitals, unaccounted for. The few, who were fortunate to get back with the company, were only shadows of their former selves. Several have died, since we arrived, from the effects of our campaign and a great many are suffering from the effects of hardships endured in Cuba. What the result will be only the future can reveal.

I read a poem from that gifted writer, Ella Wheeler Wilcox, which I think very appropriate. So I will reproduce it here.

"All the uniforms were blue,
All the swords and rifles new,
When the regiment went marching down the street.
All the men were hale and strong,
As they proudly marched along,
Through the cheers, that drowned the music of their feet.
Oh! the music of their feet,
Keeping time to drums, that beat,
Oh! the splendor of the sight,
As with swords and rifles new,
And in uniforms of blue,
The regiment went marching to the fight.
When the regiment came back,
The guns and swords were black
And the uniforms were faded into gray.
And the faces of the men,
Who marched through the street again,
Seemed like the faces of the dead, who lose their way.
For the dead, who lose their way
Cannot look more gaunt or gray.
Oh! the sorrow and the anguish of the sight.
Oh! the weary lagging feet,
Out of step with drums that beat,
When the regiment came marching from the fight.

In writing this short story of the movements of Co. "B", of which am a member, I have endeavored to give only facts, without going into particulars. I wished to only write of the company as a whole. However I think all the members deserve credit for their part in the campaign. There were numerous cases of unusual daring among members of this company, but it is not my purpose to go into details. While I do not think that we deserve any more credit than any other company of regular soldiers, which took part in the battles around Santiago, I most certainly think, we are due just as much.

December 16, 1898. 

The  following a chronology of the service of the 4th U.S. Infantry in Cuba as recorded by one of its members, Robert Turley, 4th U.S. Infantry, Co. E. The diary is written in a beat-up old 4 x 6 ledger. The information below is taken verbatim out of the diary.

Diary of the war went through by Robert Turley

April 19th  4th Inf. left Fort Sheridan for Tampa

April 22nd  arrived at Tampa

June 7th  Troops left Tampa for Port Tampa and went aboard the Transports

June 14th  Transports left for Cuba

June 22nd  After the Navy had bombarded the coast for some time the troops began disembarking at Daiquiri. After landing we found about 50 Cubans who said when the bombardment took place there was about two or three hundred Spanish soldiers behind the hills but as soon as the bombardment commenced they ran some of them lieving their rifles and ammunition behind them. The Cubans had been lying hiding behind the hills and as soon as the Spaniards ran they ran in and picked up the Spanish rifles and ammunition. They had a stack of coconuts and they were kept busy cutting them open for the men to drink the milk. Part of the troops climbed up the mountain and raised Old Glory on the top of a block house while the men cheered and the Transports blew their whistles and the gun boats fired a salute.

June 23rd  Found a family of Cubans consisting of Father, mother and three children the oldest about 5 years old starving to death. We carried the mother out on a stretcher and the children in our arms and led the father out and the hospital took care of them. The land here is very mountainous. We marched about two or three miles through a coconut forest and went into camp.

June 24th  About nine o'clock after hearing firing in the mountains for some time an orderly rode into camp with the news that the first Regular Cav. And the rough riders were being cut to pieces and asking for re-enforcements. We broke camp immediately and set out to reinforce the 1st Cav. and rough riders. We got lost in the mountains and did not reach the place until about six o'clock P.M. when we found the rough riders and the 1st and 10th Cav. burying their dead. It only took us about an hour and a half to get back to camp.

June 25th  We marched eight nearer Santiago

June 26th Laid in Camp all day

June 27th  We marched to within six miles of Santiago and took our place on the line

June 28 & 29    Laid in Camp all day

June 30th  About four o'clock P.M. we started toward El Caney to get on the fighting line while the Military balloon was sent up over our heads with the engineers

July 1st  The ball opened at six o'clock with the 2nd Brigade of the 2nd Division of which I was a member held as the reserve. About nine o'clock the Division commander ordered our brigade on the fighting line. The first battalion of the 4th Inf of which I was a member was ordered as the fighting line and the 2nd the reserve. We advanced and the men with wire cutters cut down a wire fence. We then advanced towards the stone block house at El Caney. Whenever we would be crossing over high ground the men would begin falling all round. The first man of the 4th Inf. to fall shot through th head was the man on my right not more than two yards from me. We would advance ten or fifteen yards at double time and lay down and fire. About 5.31 P.M. the 25th Inf. (Colored) and part of the 4th made a final charge and captured the stone block house and the earth works around it. Half an hour later all the Spanish soldiers in the town came out and surrendered. We then turned over the town to the Cubans who came marching in after the truble was all over – from God knows where and started towards San Juan hill to aid the division fighting there. We marched about two or three miles and laid down on the road going to Santiago and sleep untill about two oclock when we were awoke by the Cuban pickets who reported that we were sleeping within two hundred yards of the Spanish pickets. We were ordered to fall in and as we were ready to march the pack mules came up with rations. The men were given all the rations they wanted to carry and started back over the road they had come the night before and went to San Juan hill by another road.

July 2nd  Arrived at San Juan hill about three o clock P.M.  A detachment of ten men of which I was one was sent back for our equipments and blankets. By some mistake we started out between the lines and we had not gone far before we were greeted by a volley and the bullets came over our heads the same as if a gatlin gun was turned on us. A bluff was close to us and we laid down behind it and the bullets were whistling over our heads. After laying there for about five minutes we jumped up and ran. One man (Nichols of F Co.) was shot through the thigh. After runing some distance we stoped and found that the men had ran different roads and that there was only three of us together. When we reached the place where the equipments had been left we found all the rest of the men there. We shouldered all the equipments and blankets and started back this time going along our lines and having no truble in getting back. We arrived at our camp (which was along a little crick among a lot of underbrush and after cooking and eating supper laid to rest. About nine oclock we were awoke by a heavy fire through the underbrush. We jumped up and one man of H Co was shot through the heart while he was getting up. We ran up a small ravine road and were stationed along the head of the ravine untill the firing ceased. Then we found that the Spaniards had tried to surprise us and retake San Juan hill. Our brigade although not on San Juan hill was still in a line with it. and that was the reason there was such a fire going through the underbrush. July 3rd  Broke camp in the morning and started toward Santiago. About ten o'clock was fired upon by the enemy. We deployed and marched about half a mile through under brush but did not see any thing. Went into camp and started to dig entrenchments.

July 4th  We were told there was a truce until July 10th. Digging entrenchments all day.

July 5th  Turned over our entrenchments to the 7th Inf. and went farther to the right.

July 6th  Started digging entrenchments again

July 7th, 8th and 9th      Digging entrenchment and bomb proofs.

July 10th  Truce up at four P.M. We take our places in the entrenchment a little before four. The Spaniards at four o'clock take down the flag of truce put up the spanish flag fire a volley into the air as a salute to the flag and then a volley at us. We opened fire and there was a hot fire on both sides till dark. During the battle Capt. Capron had been dropping shells into the Spanish pits and drove the bigger part of them out. They started toward Santiago on a run but our Gatling guns mowed them down. We had one officer and one man killed.

July 11th  We opened fire on the Spanish works at daylight but after firing about two hours and received no answer from the Spaniards. The officers saw we were wasting ammunition and the order was given to cease firing. About noon the 1st D.C. marched up behind the 25th and the 71st N.Y. behind us and we were ordered farther to the right. We chased out a lot of Cubans and took their camp. The stink the Cubans left behind was enough to give us all the yellow fever. We policed the place as good as possible and started digging entrenchments again.

July 12th  We had orders for the first battalion of each regament to open fire while the second advanced and dug new entrenchments. About dusk we were in our entrenchment ready to open fire when an orderly came up with an order that Gen. Shafter had given the Spaniards untill the 14th at twelve o'clock to surrender. So few rations were now coming that at night when they came in the men did not have enough for supper out of what was given them for twenty four hours.

July 13th  Laid in camp all day

July 14th  At 11.45 A.M. we were ordered into our pits to be ready to open fire at 12.00. We stayed in the pits untill 12.20 P.M. wondering why they did not open fire when our Comd’g officer told the Captains to let all the men but a small guard go back down to the camp and for them to be ready to come up again at the first shot. About half an hour later an aid de Camp rode onto camp and raised both hands said men no hollowing. The Spanish general has surrendered twenty thousand troops to Gen. Shafter turning over the whole province of Santiago.

July 17th  All the troops were ordered in front of their entrenchments to witness the formal surrender of Santiago about 9 a.m. After standing in front of our pits for about fifteen minutes we were marched back down the hill to camp. At 11.50 we were again marched up the hill to witness the raising of Old Glory on the Consul General’s house. As soon as the flag was raised Capt. Capron fired a salute of Twenty one guns. At the first gun all the Captains hollowed three cheers for the American flag and the American people. We yelled ourselves hoarse after which a message of thanks was read from the President of the U.S. to the 5th Army Corps

July 21st  Government Transports came into Santiago harbor

July 23rd  My time having expired I received my discharge and went to Santiago to take a transport for the U.S.

July 24th  Left Santiago on Transport Santiago for U.S.

Foreign Service

Cuba June 22nd to July 23 – 98
Arrived in Porto Rico Nov 20

The War with Spain

April to July 1898


Co. F, Fourth Infantry dressed for battle in this posed picture

taken at Fort Sheridan, IL. in 1897


In early1898 the 4th U.S. Infantry Regiment was garrisoned at Fort Sheridan, Illinois. When war was declared the regiment was ordered from Ft. Sheridan to Tampa, Florida where the Army was concentrating. Initially the regiment was going to participate in an immediate invasion of Cuba. However, due to a hue and cry raised by the many state representatives in congress and Governors the invasion was postponed to allow the state volunteer formations muster and participate in a campaign in Cuba.

The regiment arrived in Tampa and was assigned initially to the 1st division. However, by the time the army left for Cuba the regiment was assigned to the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division under Colonel Evan S. Miles.



The "Concho" with the fourth infantry aboard prepares to leave
Tampa, Florida for Cuba. The caption is incorrect the Rough Riders
were not on the "Concho." Roosevelt's men were in fact on the "Yucatan."



On June 14 the 5th corps sailed for Cuba. The 4th Infantry sailed on the steamer “Concho” landing at Daiquiri. The first engagement for the regiment was on was at El Caney. El Caney was a city northeast of Santiago the objective of the 5th corps movements since landing. Capturing El Caney would secure the road to Santiago and prevent the Spanish from sending in reinforcements.

El Caney was defended by over 500 entrenched Spanish soldiers armed with Mauser rifles. In addition to the city was defended by a series of blockhouses especially the stone fort of El Viso.

When the Army attacked El Caney the 2nd Brigade was held in reserve. Due to the tenacity of the Spanish defense the 2nd brigade was ordered to assault El Caney from the south. As the 4th Infantry advanced they were flanked on their left by the 1st U.S. infantry. On their right was the 24th U.S. infantry. About 300 yards from El Caney just after the regiment had crossed a sunken road they were hit with withering fire from El Caney and El Viso. Among the first hit was Lt. William C. Neary of company G. There were many acts of bravery on the part of the regiment at El Caney. However, it was not until El Viso was captured before the Spanish surrendered.



Lt. William Neary, Co. G, Fourth Infantry
mortially wounded at El Caney.

Next the regiment marched to join the rest of the 5th Corps in a siege of Santiago. During the march toward Santiago Spanish skirmishers fired on the 4th Infantry killing Lt. John G. Bernard. Skirmishers from the regiment drove off the Spanish riflemen.

Upon reaching Santiago the regiment immediately entrenched under the hot tropical sun. No sooner had they finished digging in when they were ordered to relocate to another position further east. As they marched away the 71st New York volunteers occupied their trenches. It is not known whether they thanked the 4th Infantry for leaving them such fine trenches.

The regiment entrenched again and over the next few days traded volley fire with the Spanish defenders of Santiago. The regiment was preparing to take part in an all out attack when the Spanish surrendered.

The regiment was hurriedly evacuated with the rest of the 5th corps to Camp Wyckoff Long Island, New York. This was done to prevent tropical diseases from further devastating the 5th Corps.

In September 1898 the regiment returned to Fort Sheridan.

Casualties during the Campaign

Killed in Action or Mortally wounded-July 1898

El Caney

1st Lt. William Neary
Sgt. Peter Kirby
Art. Nels Anderson
Musc. Francis S.J. Walters
Pvt. Richard M. Callahan
Pvt. Henry F. Gruby
Pvt. Albert Hossfield
Pvt. Ned H. Kelly
Pvt. Lawrence R. Van Valkenberg

San Juan Hill, Cuba

2nd Lt. John G. Bernard

Died of Disease

Pvt. Frank ?

Pvt. William E. Robertson

Sgt. Herbert S. Jellum

Pvt. James L. Browne

Pvt. Thomas Sherry

Pvt. Hermann A. Bock

Pvt. James Mahon

Pvt. Hermann Wruck

Pvt. Daniel McGregor
Copyright 2003 by P.W. Logan

Mesothelioma Lawyer Center

Mesothelioma Lawyer Locator

Richmond Marketing LLC