FOURTH U.S. INFANTRY REGIMENT: HOME of HEROES

4th Infantry, 4th Infantry Regiment, Warrior Battalion 1/4, INF 2/4 INF, 3/4 INF,

Distinctive Unit Insignia (1990-Current)

 

Description/Blazon

A gold color rectangular metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in height and 1 inch (2.54cm) in width, consisting of a scarlet background on which is centered horizontally a green stripe 3/8 inch (.95cm) in width.

Symbolism

Subsequent to the Mexican War and until the blue uniform was abolished, the Band of the Fourth Infantry was authorized to wear a scarlet piping on the chevrons and trousers stripes in commemoration of the Regiment's distinguished service in the battle of Monterey in turning a captured battery of artillery against the enemy. The scarlet perpetuates this distinguished service of an element of the Regiment. Green is the predominating color of the coat of arms of the Regiment; it also symbolizes the service of the Fourth Infantry in the Mexican War.

Background

The metal and enamel distinctive unit insignia was originally approved on 21 Dec 1987. It was amended on 14 Sep 1989 to revise the description and clarify the symbolism.

Distinctive Unit Insignia (1925-Present)

Thought the U.S. Army authorized only metal distinguished unit insignia or "crests" to be worn, the 4th Infantry Regiment was authorized to wear a unique DUI made from cloth.

Notice the differant widths of the stripes on the DUI. The wider green stripe designated the wearer as being in a leadership position. Leaders in other units wore a green cloth tab under their unit crests/DUI.

Wear of the 4th Infantry Regiment Distinctive Unit Insignia on the shoulder boards of the dress uniform (1940s era).

Wear of the Distinctive Unit Insignia on the garison cap and the shoulder board with the dress uniform (1940s era).

Wear of the Distinctive Unit Insignia on the shoulder board with the dress uniform (Class A) (1980s era).

In 1989, the leadership of the 2nd Battalion designated a team to develop the current medal DUI worn by soldiers and leaders of the 4th Infantry Regiment. Prior to this the medal DUI was produced for the Regiment to be worn on the Garrison Cap and above the nameplate of the Class A uniform to designate your unit affiliation and/or unit that you are currently assigned to. Based on how the DUI was worn prior to 1989, the DUI was oriented vertically, however, after 1989 it was designated to be worn horizontally.

 

This is CSM Bolger of 1st Battalion, wearing the DUI (cloth) on the beret as currently designated (horizontal).

SGT M. Joushua Laughery of D Co 2nd Battalion, recieves the Silver Star ofr action in Afghanistan. Notice the DUI on the beret and the manner it is worn currently.

 

Distinctive Unit Insignia History

A distinctive unit insignia (DUI) is a metal heraldic device worn by soldiers in the United States Army. The DUI design is normally derived from the coat of arms authorized for a unit. DUIs may also be called "distinctive insignia" (DI), a "crest" or a "unit crest" by soldiers or collectors. The term "crest" however, in addition to being incorrect, may be misleading, as a DUI is an insignia in its own right rather than a heraldic crest. The term "crest" properly refers to the portion of an achievement of arms which stands atop the helmet over the shield of arms.

The U.S. Army Institue of Heraldry is responsible for the design, development and authorization of all DUIs.

Pre-World War I. Distinctive ornamentation of a design desired by the organization was authorized for wear on the Mess Jacket uniform by designated organizations (staff corps, departments, corps of artillery, and infantry and cavalry regiments) per General Order 132 dated December 31, 1902. The distinctive ornamentation was described later as coats of arms, pins and devices. The authority continued until omitted in the Army uniform regulation dated December 26, 1911.

Distinctive unit insignia. Circular 161 dated 29 April 1920 authorized the use of the regimental coat of arms or badge as approved by the War Department for wear on the collar of the white uniform and the lapels of the mess jacket. Circular 244, 1921 states: "It has been approved, in principle, that regiments of the Regular Army and National Guard may wear distinctive badges or trimmings on their uniforms as a means of promoting esprit de corps and keeping alive historical traditions. Various organizations which carry colors or standards have generally submitted coats of arms having certain historical significance. As fast as approved these coats of arms will for the basis for regimental colors or standards which will eventually replace the present regimental colors or standards when these wear out. The use of these coats of arms as collar ornaments in lieu of the insignia of corps, departments, or arms of service would be an example of distinctive badge to be worn by the regiment."

Present. Up until 1965, only regiments and separate battalions were authorized a coat of arms and distinctive units insignia. Now all major commands, field hospitals, corps, logistics commands and certain other units – groups, for example – are authorized distinctive unit insignia.

Mesothelioma Lawyer Center

Mesothelioma Lawyer Locator

Richmond Marketing LLC