4th Infantry, 4th Infantry Regiment, Warrior Battalion 1/4, INF 2/4 INF, 3/4 INF,

Distinguished Members of the Regiment

The history of the Fourth Infantry Regiment speaks of many distinguished gentlemen. Some have served our Nation as Soldiers, Statesmen and others as Presidents. To have so many excel in their personal and professional life's, speaks volumes to the quality of leadership the Fourth Infantry has developed. These men deserve their place in the Regiments' and Nations' history.

All were tried in the balance and not found wanting in the patriotism, wisdom and valor reposed in them. The names of many Fourth Infantry officers are indelibly woven in the web of our country's history, and so long as valor, honor and patriotism exist in our land, they will be among the names men most delight to honor.

Zachery Taylor -  (November 24, 1784 - July 9, 1850) Assigned to 4th Infantry Regiment (LTC) 20 April - 13 August 1819. Fought in the Blackhawk War and the Second Seminole War. He led the Army of Observation which included the 4th Infantry Regiment and other units to the Rio Grande area in anticipation for a war with Mexico. The Mexican War began in 1846 and he led American forces in in the Battle of Palo Alto and Battle of Monterrey becoming an American hero. Later becoming the 12th President of the United States of America.


Zebulon Montgomery Pike - (January 5, 1779 – April 27, 1813) Assigned to 4th Infantry Regiment (LTC) in 1811, and then promoted to COL in 1812. He fought with the 4th Infantry Regiment at the Battle of Tippecanoe in the War of 1812. In 1813 he was promoted to Brigadier General. Along with General Jacob Brown he was assigned to the fortified outpost of Sackets Harbor on the New York shore of Lake Ontario. He was killed while leading troops on the successful attack of York (now Toronto) on April 27, 1813 after withdrawing British forces blew-up their ammunition stores and he was struck by debris. NOTE: Before being assigned to the 4th Infantry Regiment, Zebulon Pike had successfully led expeditions to find the source of the Mississippi in 1805 then later he was sent to explore, map and find the headwaters of the Arkansas and Red rivers. Thus, beginning July 15, 1806, Pike led what became known as the "Pike Expedition".


Philip Henry Sheridan - (March 6, 1831 – August 5, 1888) LT Sheridan's first assignment to the 4th Infantry Regiment began at Camp Reading, California where most of his assignment with the 4th Infantry remained throughout the Northwest Territory. He worked on the survey mission in the Willamette Valley in 1855, the Yakima War, and the Rogue River River Wars. His experiences benefited him significantly during his career, from leading small units to negotiating with Indian leaders. He was promoted to 1st LT then CPT and at the outbreak of the Civil War transferred to the 13th Infantry Regiment. However, he was sidetracked for a short period performing the duties of Quartermaster before his first Command as the Commander of the 2nd Michigan Cavalry in which he led them into the Battle of Booneville. Later in the war, owing his relationship to Ulysses S. Grant who was the General of all the Union Forces, he was summoned to command the Calvary Corps of the Army of the Potomac. Then later he was appointed to command the Middle Military Division to protect Washington D.C. from the Confederate troops making a push up the Shenandoah Valley. The Army of the Shenandoah as his field troops were called successfully conducted the maneuver which is now known as "Sheridan's Ride," which became a move that denied the Southern forces a base in which to operate from and receive support from.  Sheridan began the punitive operations of his mission, sending his cavalry as far south as Waynsboro to seize or destroy livestock and provisions, and to burn barns, mills, factories, and railroads. Sheridan's men did their work relentlessly and thoroughly, rendering over 400 miles uninhabitable. The destruction presaged the scorched earth tactics of Sherman's March to the Sea through Georgia. The residents referred to this widespread destruction as "The Burning."

Sheridan's aggressive and well-executed performance at the Battle of Saylor's Creek on April 6 effectively sealed the fate of Lee's army, capturing over 20% of his remaining men. President Lincoln sent Grant a telegram on April 7: "Gen. Sheridan says 'If the thing is pressed I think that Lee will surrender.' Let the thing be pressed." At Appomattox Court House, April 9, 1865, Sheridan blocked Lee's escape, forcing the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia later that day. Grant summed up Little Phil's performance in these final days: "I believe General Sheridan has no superior as a general, either living or dead, and perhaps not an equal."

Ulysses S. Grant (born Hiram Ulysses Grant; April 27, 1822 – July 23, 1885) Assigned to Jefferson Barracks, MO and the 4th Infantry Regiment in September 1843, he performed the duties of Regiment Quartermaster. The 4th Infantry Regiment moved to Louisiana and then forward to Corpus Christie, Texas as part of the Army of Observation amid increased tensions with Mexico. LT Grant continued to perform his duties with exceptional merit and with the start of the Mexican War in 1846, he found himself where he wanted to be, in battle. However, his duties did not allow him to lead troops yet he found leadway in his duties to during the Battle of Resaca dela Palma to fight as a cavalryman. During the Battle of Monterrey, he demonstrated his equestrian skills by riding through the streets lined with snipers to deliver dispatches. After this battle, the 4th Infantry Regiment was reassigned under General Winfield Scott for a landing at Vera Cruz and into Mexico City. Once again, LT Grant demonstrated his eagerness in battle at Chupltepec, he took a captured artillery piece in a church steeple and began bombarding nearby Mexican troops. Soon the U.S. forces entered Mexico City and the Mexican forces surrendered.

In his Memoirs, Grant wrote that he had learned about military leadership by observing the decisions and actions of his commanding officers, and in retrospect he identified his leadership style with Taylor's. At the time, he felt that the war was a wrongful one and believed that territorial gains were designed to spread slavery throughout the nation; he wrote in 1883, "I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day, regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation." He also opined that the Civil War was punishment inflicted on the nation for its aggression in Mexico.

After the Mexican War, he was married to Julia Dent and they had 4 children. The 4th Infantry Regiment was assigned to the Northwest Terriroty next with multiple forts from California to Washington. Their missions including security for the settlers in the region, surveying new regions, opening roads for transporation of commerce and fighting the Indians. CPT Grant was assigned to numerous assignments over the next six years from Detroit to Sackets Harbor, New York. In 1852 he rejoined his Regiment at Fort Vancouver in the Oregon Territory. He took command of Company F 4th Infantry Regiment at Fort Humbolt, California in 1853. That same year it was rumored he was drunk on duty and brevet Lieutenant Colonel Robert C. Buchanan, known for his strict discipline, gave Grant an ultimatum, to sign a drafted resignation letter, and he resigned effective July 31, 1854, without explanation.

After numerous failed civilian ventures and the outbreak of the Civil War, Grant returned to the military and began his career again climbing to the rank of General and leading Union forces to victory over the Southern forces and eventual surrender of General Lee at Appomatox Courthouse, which by request, his old Regiment, the 4th Infantry Regiment, was present for as his Headquarters Guardforce. It was his way of paying tribute to his Regiment as they had taken quite a beating during the Civil War but survived.

Later he become the 18th President of the United States of America.


Robert Christie Buchanan (March 1, 1811 – November 29, 1878) He graduated from the Academy in 1830 and was assigned to the 4th U.S. Infantry as a brevet second lieutenant. His assignments included service in the Black Hawk War (he was in charge of gunboats during the Battle of Bad Axe) and against the Seminoles, as well as in the removal of the Cherokees to the Indian Territory. He was promoted to captain during his service in Florida.

Buchanan participated in the Mexican War in command of the Maryland Volunteers. He was in the Battle of Chapultepec, the Battle of Palo Alto, the Battle of Resaca de la Palma, the Battle of Molino del Rey, and the capture of Mexico City. For his service in Mexico, Buchanan was twice brevetted in recognition of his gallantry in action. After the war, Buchanan was assigned to various posts and recruiting duty. In 1853, the 4th Infantry was assigned to the Pacific Coast. He established Fort Humboldt. Under his command was CPT Ulysses S. Grant. When Grant's drinking began to affect his duties, Buchanan allegedly asked for and received Grant's resignation from the Army. In 1855, Buchanan was promoted to major. He commanded the District of Southern Oregon and Northern California from Fort Humboldt, and participated in the Rogue River Wars in Oregon.

Buchanan was stationed in Los Angeles, California, at the beginning of the Civil War. He was ordered east, and his regiment was placed in the defenses surrounding Washington, D.C.. He was promoted to lieutenant colonel and given command of a brigade in what became the Army of the Potomac. He participated in the Peninsula Campaign, including the Battle of Yorktown, and the Seven Days Battles, including the Battle of Gaines' Mill, the Battle of Glendale, and the Battle of Malvern Hill. He then fought in the Northern Virginia Campaign in the Second Battle of Bull Run.

General Buchanan was one of the most prominent Infantry officers of the Army, in which he performed long, faithful, and honorable service. Though a rigid disciplinarian, he was always kind and considerate to subordinates; just and incorruptible in all his dealings; dignified and courtly in his demeanor; gallant and chivalrous on the battlefield; and ever a worthy and noble exemplar to his profession.

After the termination of the Civil War, he held a most important command in Louisiana in very troublous times of the reconstruction period, when it required the utmost discretion to avoid bloodshed and preserve the peace. Of these trying services, his Asst. Adjutant-General, General Neill, says:"I do not know any officer of the army whose personal and official integrity, whose impartial discharge of the very delicate and highly responsible duties of his post, stands higher than that of Robert C. Buchanan. He was the very soul of honor, and one of the first soldiers under whom I served. “I cannot find words to express my admiration of Buchanan, on account of the remarkable coolness, good sense, and sound judgment which he always displayed under the most exciting scenes, when grave issues were at stake. “Our country has never given him the credit which he deserves for the great success which he achieved in the prevention of bloodshed and preserving the peace while the city of New Orleans was seething with disloyalty, riot, and threatened bloodshed.” 

Christopher Colon Augur (July 10 1821 - January 16 1898) A career U.S. Army Infantry officer and West Point graduate who served in the Mexican War and the U.S. Civil War. He graduated from West Point in the class of 1843, 16th in a class of 39. His class furnished ten general officers to the North including General U.S. Grant, and three to the South during the U.S. Civil War. He performed routine garrison duty for some years and fought creditably in the Mexican War, serving as aide-de-camp to General Hopping and General Caleb Cushing. During the 1850s he saw service on the frontier. He was promoted Captain 1 August 1852, and served with distinction in a campaign against the Indians in Oregon in 1856. He is credited with building Fort Hoskins in 1856 and served as its first commanding officer from 1856 to 1861.

(1845-1846) 2nd Lt. (12 Sep 1845),4th U.S. Infantry , occupation of Texas and Mexican War, (Oct 1845 to Jul 1846);(1846-1847) 2nd Lt., Recruiting service in New York, (Jul 1846 to Mar 1847);(1847-1848) 1st Lt. (16 Feb 1847), aid-de-camp to General Hopping and General Cushing, Mexico, (8 Apr 1847 to 1 Sep 1847), (18 Sep 1847 to 30 May 1848);(1848-1848) 1st Lt., 4th U.S. Infantry, Mississippi, (20 Aug 1848 to 3 Oct 1848);(1848-1852) 1st Lt., 4th U.S. Infantry, Fort Niagara, New York, (3 Oct 1848 to 4 May 1852);(1852-1852) 1st Lt., 4th U.S. Infantry, Recruiting Service and Leave, (5 May 1852 to 5 Jul 1852);(1852-1852) Capt. (1 Aug 1852),4th U.S. Infantry, enroute to Pacific Coast, (5 Jul 1852- to 19 Aug 1852);(1852-1852) Capt., 4th U.S. Infantry, Benicia Barracks, California, (20 Aug 1852 to Oct 1852);(1852-1856) Capt., 4th U.S. Infantry, Fort Vancouver and leave, Washington, (Oct 1852 to 1 Jan 1855), (2 Jan 1855 to Mar 1855);(1855-1855) Capt., 4th U.S. Infantry, Conducting recruits to the Pacific Coast, (Mar 1855 to 1 Jun 1855);(1855-1855) Capt.,4th U.S. Infantry, Fort Dalles, Oregon, (2 Jun 1855- Sep 1955);(1855-1855) Capt., 4th U.S. Infantry, Fort Yakima and chasing Indians, Washington, (Sep 1855 to 24 Nov 1855);(1855-1856) Capt., 4th U.S. Infantry, Fort Vancouver, Washington, (25 Nov 1855 to 4 Mar 1856);(1856-1856) Capt., 4th U.S. Infantry, Fort Orford, Oregon, (5 Mar 1856 to 5 May 1856);(1856-1856) Capt., 4th U.S. Infantry, Rogue River Indian War in the field, Oregon, (6 May 1856 to Aug 1856);(1856-1861) Capt., 4th U.S. Infantry, Company G, Commander, Fort Hoskins, Oregon, (25 Jul 1856 to 2 Jul 1961)

Captain Bradford Ripley Alden (May 6, 1811 - September 10, 1870) A graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, Class of 1831, he was posted as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 4th United States Infantry. After serving in the Seminole Wars and as an instructor at West Point, he was detailed as an Aide-de-camp to Major General Winfield Scott. His tenure as a staff officer began on September 3, 1840, and ended on June 14, 1842, when he was promoted to Captain and sent back to his regiment for duty in the field. After service commanding his detachment of the 4th Infantry in Texas for three years, he was assigned back to West Point as the Commandant of Cadets, upon the endorsement of General Scott. He served in that duty from December 14, 1845 to November 1, 1852, during which time 263 cadets were graduated that would go on to become Generals during the Civil War (the include such figures as Union Generals George B. McClellan, John Buford, Gouverneur K. Warren and John Gibbon, and Confederate Generals Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, Henry Heth, George E. Pickett and Charles W. Field). Sent to the Pacific Coast in 1853, he was given command of Fort Jones, located in Northern California. When Indians along the Rogue River in southeastern Oregon threatened an uprising, Captain Alden led an expedition of his Regular troops plus an regiment of volunteers the from local populace (who elected him "Colonel" even though that rank was unofficial and honorary). In severe fighting on August 24, 1853 at the Rogue River, his command defeated the Indians, but he received a gunshot wound through the shoulder that permanently disabled him, and forced him to resign on September 24, 1853, a month later. His post-military career included travels in Europe, and was one of the first men to drill for oil in the fields of western Pennsylvania in the late 1850s. During the Civil War his great desire to serve was thwarted by his disability, and efforts to raise a regiment of volunteers and to serve as a staff officer both were unsuccessful due to his injuries. He eventually succumbed to his wounds on September 10, 1870 at Newport, Rhode Island.

William Wallace Smith Bliss (August 17, 1815 – August 5, 1853) Bliss entered the United States Military Academy on September 1, 1829. He showed very great mathematical gifts while a student. He graduated July 1, 1833 (not yet 18 years old) as a Second Lieutenant in the 4th Infantry Regiment. It was his choice to serve in the infantry.

He served in the Fort Mitchell army garrison in Alabama from 1833 to 1834. During 1835 he was involved in operations against the Cherokee during Indian Removal, which removed most of them to Indian Territory west of the Mississippi River.

From October 2, 1834 until January 4, 1840, Bliss served as Assistant Professor of Mathematics at West Point. As a Captain, he served as Chief of Staff from 1840 until 1841 to Brig. Gen. Walker Keith Armistead, the Commanding General in the Seminole Wars. He served at Fort Smith, Arkansas and at Fort Jesup, Louisiana.

In 1845 Bliss took part in the United States military occupation of the Republic of Texas, prior to its annexation. Between April 1846 and November 1847, he took part in the Mexican War, including fighting in the Battle of Palo Alto on May 8, 1846. His performance gained a promotion to Major on May 9, 1846. He fought in the Battle of Buena Vista and was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel in February 1847 for gallant and meritorious service.

During his service in Texas and in Mexico he served under Major-General Zachery Taylor. Bliss was noted for his efficiency and skills as a high-level aide. His writing was simple, elegant, vigorous, and picturesque. He was cheerful and popular with the public.

Henry Moses Judah (June 12, 1821 – February 14, 1866) Judah received an appointment to the United States Military Academy, graduating 35th of 39 students in the Class of 1843. He was a classmate of U.S. Grant. Commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. 8th Infantry Regiment, he served on the frontier. He served with distinction during the Mexican-American and was promoted to First Lieutenant on September 26, 1847. He was commended for bravery during the storming of Monterrey, and again at the Battle of Molino Del Rey and the Battle of Mexico City.

He was promoted to Captain in the U.S. 4th Infantry Regiment and served in a variety of posts in the Pacific Northwest in the Washington Territory before being assigned to duty in California. His Company E was stationed at Fort Jones in Siskiyou County, where he joined the Freemasons, becoming a member of the North Star Lodge No. 91.

In 1854, Judah participated in an expedition against local Native Americans, but was too inebriated to lead his company in an attack on a group of Indians who were hiding in a cave. Instead, he stayed with the pack train and straggled far behind the column. The commissary officer, Lt. George Crook (a future Civil War general) later wrote, "It seemed that the rear guard had gotten some whiskey, and were all drunk, and scattered for at least 10 miles back. Judah was so drunk that be had to be lifted from his horse when the rear guard straggled into camp. The next day he was sick all day with the delerium tremens." Crook and other officers discussed pressing charges against Judah, but the matter was dropped when Judah promised to arrange a transfer to a new post. He then served in Placerville, California, in El Dorado County. However, Judah's reputation for bouts with alcohol would carry over into the Civil War. 

With the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, Judah was Colonel of the 4th California Volunteers at Fort Yuma, a post on the Colorado River opposite the Arizona Territory. He commanded troops at Camp McClellan near Auburn, California, until November, when he resigned his command and returned to the East. He served in the defenses of Washington, D.C. for several months. He was appointed a Brigadier General of volunteers on March 22, 1862 (confirmed March 24, 1862), to rank from March 21, 1862, and served as Grant's Inspector General during the Battle of Shiloh. Given field command of a division under Henry W. Halleck, Judah participated in the siege of Corinth. He received a promotion in the Regular Army in June 1862 to Major (United States) of the 4th Infantry. By autumn, he was performing administrative duties in Cincinnatti, Ohio before being ordered in October to join the Army of Kentucky under Maj. Gen. Gordan Granger at Covington, Kentucky. Judah returned to a staff position during the winter of 1862–63, when he served as acting inspector general of the Army of the Ohio.

In June 1863, Judah was assigned to command the 3rd Division of the XXIII Corps, stationed in Cincinnatti, Ohio. During Morgan's Raid, Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside ordered Judah to pursue the Confederate raider John Hunt Morgan. Judah's Indiana and Illinois cavalry under Edward H. Hobson defeated Morgan at the Battle of Buffington Island, but failed to capture the general (who finally surrendered to other Federal troops on July 26). Judah was criticized for missing an opportunity earlier in the week to snare Morgan near Pomeroy, Ohio, where his slowness in flanking Morgan allowed the Confederates to escape. He then led his command back to Tennessee to rejoin the army of William S. Rosecrans.

In 1864, Judah led an infantry division under Maj. Gen. John M. Schofield during the Atlanta Campaign. Having been previously disciplined for poor performance and alcoholism by Schofield, Judah was given one last chance to redeem himself at the Battle of Reseca. In his haste to seize victory, he did not properly reconnoiter the battlefield terrain beforehand or use his artillery in the fight. It would be his last field command, as Schofield soon removed him from duty.

Judah was placed on routine administrative duty in the Department of the Cumberland until the end of the war, stationed in Marietta, Georgia. He was appointed a Brevet Lieutenant Colonel and Colonel in the Regular Army on March 13, 1865. On May 12, he received the surrender of Brig. Gen. William T. Wofford's estimated 3,000 to 4,000 Confederate soldiers. Since no crops had been grown here on the battlefields in 1864 and, as the surrender had paralyzed the local economy and government, the citizens and former soldiers lacked food, funds and employment. Judah, seeing that aid was needed to prevent suffering, issued corn and bacon to the needy until a crop could be harvested. The rations helped put the Georgians and their economy back on a sound basis, and served as a humanitarian gesture.

After the war, Judah mustered out of the volunteer army on August 24, 1865 and reverted to his Regular Army rank of major. He served on garrison duty in Plattsburg, New York, where he died a year later. He was entombed at Kings Highway Cemetery in Westport, Connecticut.

Robert Nicholson Scott (January 21, 1838 - 1887) Commissioned Lieutenant in 4th Infantry January 1857. Lt. Robert N. Scott was the husband of Lt. Col. Casey’s second daughter, Miss Bessie Casey, a relationship that blossomed during Lt. Scott’s service at Ft. Steilacoom beginning in August 1860. Serving as a second lieutenant in Company C/4th Infantry under Capt. Lewis Hunt, Lt. Scott would later serve as the Adjutant of the 4th Infantry as the regiment arrived in New York in November 1861 for Civil War service.

Upon arrival in NYC, Scott was notified of his promotion to Captain of Company I, 7th Infantry dated back to Sept. 25, 1861. During McClellan’s Peninsula Campaign in 1862, Scott served as Acting Adjutant-General under Lt. Col. Robert Buchanan of the 1st Brigade in Sykes’s Regular Division (3d, 4th, 1st Batt’n/12th, and 9 companies of the 14th Infantry regiments).

Scott was wounded and mentioned for gallant and meritorious service in the Battle of Gaines Mill, 27th June 1862; also was Assistant Adjutant-General in the formation, by General Casey, of the Provisional Brigades and Divisions. Was Senior Aide-de-Camp to General Halleck and served at the siege of Yorktown.

After the war, Scott was promoted to Major (1879) in the 3rd Artillery Regiment, seeing service with his new family, including a daughter, Martha, at the Presidio in San Francisco. He served for a time as Assistant Adjutant-General for the Military Division of the Pacific under the command of Maj.-Gen. Henry Halleck.

On December 14, 1877, Major/Bvt. Lt. Col. Scott took charge of the team compiling the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion for both Union and Confederate armies. He died on March 5, 1887 and was promoted posthumously to Lt. Colonel after nearly completing this monumental task. Upon publishing of these records, Scott’s name appeared as the lead editor of the work despite his passing before its completion.

Lewis Cass Hunt (February 23, 1824 - September 6, 1886) Captain Lewis Cass Hunt commanded Company C 4th Inf’y at Ft. Steilacoom on paper early as 1856, but not in person until 1858. He was born in 1824 at Ft. Howard near today’s Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Hunt graduated 33rd in a class of 38 from the USMA in 1847. A veteran of the Mexican War and stations on the Pacific Coast, Hunt at one point shared a room with Capt. H. Ulysses Grant at Ft. Humboldt. Captain Hunt commanded Company C through its service on San Juan Island from August 1859April 1860, its occupation duty at Fort Townsend, and its transfer down the West Coast to its reassignment East at the beginning of the Civil War.

In 1859, Hunt began courting his post commander’s eldest daughter, Abby Casey. This put Hunt in conflict with one of his company officers, Lt. Arthur Schaaf. Schaaf, too, was interested in Abby, but was inclined to over-indulging in alcohol. Abby accepted Lewis’s proposal for marriage and the two were married on November 28, 1860 at the fort. Lt. Schaaf did not attend the wedding.

In 1862, Hunt was wounded leading the 92nd NY Vol. Inf’y at Fair Oaks, VA, an engagement in which Hunt served in the third brigade of a division commanded by his father-in-law and a Corps commanded by another Ft. Steilacoom alumnus, E.D. Keyes.

Recovering from his wounds, Hunt convalesced with his growing family at duty stations such as New Bern, NC and New York Harbor. For the latter half of the war, Brig. Gen’l. Hunt was the commander of the 1st Brigade/4th Div/18th Army Corps. He returned to the 4th Inf’y after the war as a major and later assumed the colonelcy of the 14th Inf’y in 1881.

Hunt suffered for most of his life from chronic dysentery and intestinal problems, a lifelong illness that was exacerbated by his service in Mexico. He died from this illness shortly after arriving for duty at Fort Union, New Mexico on September 6, 1886. Col./Bvt. Brig. Gen’l Hunt was buried in the National Cemetery at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas.

Henry C. Hodges (January 14, 1831 – November 3, 1917) Appointed to West Point on July 1, 1847 although he was only 16 years old.  In the graduating class of 42, 12 were 16 years old when they were admitted to the Academy. Hodges graduated 32nd in his class, with low demerits and a good standing in infantry tactics. Upon graduation, Hodges was made a brevet Second Lieutenant in the U.S. 4th Infantry Regiment, and assigned to a frontier post at Fort Howard, Wisconsin. He was soon transferred to Columbia Barracks, Oregon, as a Second Lieutenant, where he served for one year. In 1853, the Secretary of War Jefferson ordered an exploration of the Northwest for the purposes of a transcontinental railroad. The exploration was divided into Eastern and Western divisions, with the Eastern division working west from the Upper Mississippi, and the Western division working east from the Puget Sound through the Cascade Range mountains. Lieutenant Hodges was put in charge of the western division's military escort, as well as serving as the group's commissary and quartermaster. Upon completion of the railroad exploration expedition, Hodges was assigned to Fort Vancouver, in 1854. While there, he served on a scouting expedition against the Snake Indians in 1855, as well as in the Army’s Yakima Expedition in 1855. Leading that campaign were Major Gabriel J. Rains and Lieutenant Philip Sheridan. The Yakima Expedition of 1855 did not end well for the Army, nor the Yacamas Indians. For his service, Hodges was promoted to First Lieutenant, and made an adjutant to Fort Vancouver's commander. While at Fort Vancouver, Lieutenant Hodges periodically served in a military judicial capacity, dealing with disciplinary issues. Stationed at the same fort was General Harney, who was in charge of the larger military district, the Department of Oregon. General Harney, who was also a plantation owner and slave owner, had purchased in 1858 a nearby 100 acre farm and large house. In early 1860, Lt. Hodges was called upon to be the judicial adjutant on several soldiers who were accused of being AWOL. Their excuse was that they were working for General Harney at his farm. Upon conclusion of the investigation, Lt. Hodges delivered the proceedings papers to the fort commander, Captain A. J. Smith, as required. General Harney filed court-martial papers against Hodges for not delivering the court papers, and for insubordinate language on a document. Hodges was confined to his quarters, and not allowed to appeal through normal channels. Eventually, Hodges was able to send proper appeals to General Winfield Scott, Harney's superior, proving that he was innocent of all charges and unfairly being imprisoned. Scott was already displeased with Harney over the recent diplomatic problem called the Pig War. Scott, and the chief judge advocate, found Hodges completely innocent and ordered his immediate release. Scott further wrote to the Secretary of War, that Harney's action was "an act of stupid outrage which has never been surpassed even in the Turkish army."

When Ulysses S. Grant came to Fort Vancouver in the early 1850s, he lived at the "Quartermaster Ranch" with Rufus Ingalls, Captain Brent, and Henry C. Hodges. Grant supported Hodges, filling supply orders to outfit the transcontinental railway expedition in 1853. Later during the Civil War, Hodges supported Grant, as a quartermaster in various roles. In 1861, Hodges was reassigned to New York, where he served on the staff of the Governor of New York, doing purchasing, disbursing, arranging transportation, and building various barracks and supply depots in New York and Virginia. In 1863 Lt. Colonel Hodges was made the Chief Quartermaster of the Army of the Cumberland, reporting to Major General Rosecrans, and participating in the Battle of Chickamauga from September 19 – 20, 1863. Two days earlier, Hodges had been requested by Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton to secure 2,000 horses for the cavalry, which he accomplished. Hodges then built supply depots for General Sherman's march through the South. After the Civil War, Hodges was often utilized to reconcile various claims for goods and services incurred during the war by Union troops. Keep in mind that at any one time, there were over a million soldiers in the Northern armies, which needed to be supplied by quartermasters. Over the course of the four years of the war, they spent over a billion dollars on food, supplies, uniforms, tents, wagons, horses and mules, services, and transportation. Colonel Hodges is considered one of the top 20 procurement officers in the Union Army during the Civil War. After the War, Colonel Hodges returned to the Northwest, serving as Quartermaster for the Department of Columbia, and at Fort Vancouver. Later he had quartermaster positions in Philadelphia, New York, Arizona, New Orleans, and Washington D.C. Colonel Hodges retired in 1895, moving to Buffalo, New York. On April 23, 1904, by an act of Congress, Hodges was promoted to Brigadier General for his service to his country.

Henry D. Wallen (April 19, 1819 - December 2, 1886) Henry Wallen attended the U.S. Military Academy from July 1, 1836, to July 1, 1840, when he was graduated and promoted in the Army to Bvt. Second Lieut., 3d Infantry, July 1, 1840. Promoted to Second Lieut., 4th Artillery, on Oct. 4, 1840, Wallen served: in the Florida War, 1840-42; in garrison at Jefferson Barracks, Mo., 1842-44; on frontier duty at Natchitoches, La. (Camp Salubrity), 1844-45; and in Military Occupation of Texas, 1845-46. In the War with Mexico he was engaged in the Battle of Palo Alto, May 8, 1846, where he was wounded, and the Battle of Resaca-de-la-Palma, May 9, 1846. He was promoted First Lieut., 4th Infantry, on Sep. 9, 1846.

After recruiting service during 1846-47; Wallen again was engaged in the War with Mexico during 1848. After the war, he was posted on Commissary duty at East Pascagoula, Mis., 1848, and on frontier duty at Detroit, Mich, 1848-50. From Feb. 1, 1849, to Jan. 31, 1850 he served as Adjutant, 4th Infantry, and was promoted to Captain, 4th Infantry, on Jan. 31, 1850.

Wallen was in garrison at Plattsburg, N. Y. during 1850-52, as well as a time at Ft. Columbus, N.Y.. Heading west with his regiment, Wallen was on frontier duty at Benicia, Cal., 1852; Ft. Vancouver, Wash., 1852-53; Ft. Dalles, Or., 1853; Ft. Vancouver, Wash., 1853-55; Yakima Expedition, 1855; and Ft. Vancouver, Wash., 1856-57; on Recruiting service, 1858; on frontier duty at Ft. Cascades, Wash., 1858-59, He was in command of and exploring expedition to Salt Lake, Utah, 1859. During 1859-60, he was back in Ft. Vancouver, Wash., and Ft. Cascades, Wash., 1860.

For a part of 1850, Wallen was in Washington, DC, on detached service 1860, but returned to frontier duty at Ft. Cascades, Wash., 1860-61. He would join the 4th US in its journey back East at the start of the Civil War, moving through Camp Sumner, near San Francisco, and on detached service to the Isthmus of Panama. Wallen was promoted Major, 7th Infantry, on Nov. 25, 1861. During the Civil War, he served in operations in new Mexico from June 1862- June 1864, commanding a battalion and serving as Acting Asst. Inspector-General of the Department of New Mexico. From June 1864 - May 1865, Wallen was in command of a regiment at Ft. Schuyler, N.Y.

Wallen was granted a Brevet Lieut.-Colonel, and Bvt. Colonel on Feb. 23, 1865, for Meritorious Services Rendered by Him in New Mexico During the Rebellion and a Brevet Brig.-General, U. S. Army on Mar. 13, 1865, for Faithful and Meritorious Services During the Rebellion)

Wallen commanded the 1st Infantry at St. Augustine, Fla., May to Oct., 1865; and was in garrison at San Francisco, Cal., Dec. 15, 1865, to Jan., 1866; in command of the District of the Gila, Apr. 28 to June 10, 1866, and of the District of Arizona, June 10 to Aug. 11, 1866. He was promoted to Lieut.-Colonel, 14th Infantry, on July 30, 1865

Wallen served: on sick leave of absence, Aug. 11 to Oct. 24, 1866; in waiting orders and on leave of absence, Oct. 24, 1866, to Mar. 1, 1867. He took command of the Ft. Columbus Recruiting depot, N.Y., from Mar. 6, 1867, to May 5, 1869. From May to Oct., 1869; he was assigned on Special Duty at Headquarters of the Department of the East, Oct. 16, 1869, to Aug. 18, 1870. Wallen was in command of 18th Infantry, headquarters Atlanta, Ga., Aug. 25 to Nov. 3, 1870; and served on duty at headquarters, Department of the East, from Nov., 1870, to Jan. 27, 1871, and with regiment, Feb. 3, 1871, to July 5, 1872; on Courts Martial, 1871-72; on Yellowstone Expedition, July 26 to Oct. 18, 1872, -- and at Omaha Barracks, Nebraska, to Nov. 20, 1872; on leave of absence to Dec. 23, 1872; commanding battalion of regiment to Mar. 2, 1873, during which time he was promoted to Colonel of the 2d Infantry on Feb. 19, 1873. He commanded the 2nd US from Dec. 1, 1873, to Jan. 29, 1874.

He retired from active service on Feb. 18, 1871, for disability contracted in the Line of Duty. Henry Wallen died on Dec. 2, 1886, at New York city, aged 68.

D.A. Russell


Members of the Regiment:






Mesothelioma Lawyer Center

Mesothelioma Lawyer Locator

Richmond Marketing LLC